HONKY TONK BLUES

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

HONKY TONK BLUES

Message  Hugues le Ven 21 Juil - 11:15

DVD: Honky Tonk Blues - The Hank Williams Story - Morgan Neville
Reviewer: Terry Reilly - 13/12/2005

If Daddy wasn't a blues singer, says Hank Junior, just tell me who was

Hank Williams played blue country. It's not a musical genre as such but when he constructed a song of despair it would outdo any of his contemporaries, although Don Gibson later continued the style with Blue Blue Day (1958) and Sea of Heartbreak (1961).

The tenor of one of the saddest and loneliest songs ever written --- 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry' --- was completely bathed in indigo more than any other. Were Williams to add more verses to this brief blue masterpiece, he might have been tempted to change "cry' to "die". Such was the overwhelming mood.

Depression, the despondent mental disorder, has been brought into the open in recent times, and if Williams were around today, he could have written a box set about the subject. 'Lonesome', 'Cold Cold Heart' --- in "honour" of his wife, Audrey --- 'Your Cheating Heart' and 'You Win Again' were desperately blue, about as lonely as a rejected lover can ever be. Whatever the despair Williams felt during the writing of 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry', it added something else to his growing catalogue: a dimension of physical poetry.

Consider:

"The silence of a falling star
Lights up a purple sky
And as I wonder where you are
I'm so lonesome I could cry".

For the record, although this 82-minute DVD is entitled "Honky Tonk Blues", it's the song 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry' that firmly initiates the consistently blue tone by playing over a powder blue Cadillac cruising along a rural highway surrounded by green trees and tidy farm crops during the introduction of this captivating Morgan Neville documentary.

The truth is, Hiram King Williams born in Georgia, Alabama in 1923 had the blues. He even learnt to play them at a young age. The blues would never stay away from him and before his death at 29 in the back of that powder blue Cadillac on New Year's Day, 1953, his career was just starting to wane slightly despite the success of the buoyant 'Jambalaya' the previous year.

At that time, Williams was performing his usual fare at beer joints but at home he was performing something even darker. Into his home tape recorder, he applied his thin tenor to 'The Angel of Death' and 'Pale Horse and His Rider'. In earnest, he wailed:

"Won't you redeem; your poor wicked soul
You can't pay your way; with silver and gold
If you're not saved; you'll be lost in the night
When the pale horse and his rider goes by?"

In those heart-stricken moments, could Williams have possibly reflected on the impact he would have on contemporary music? Probably not, but the truth is, he never adjusted to being a product. His story, as this compelling DVD explains so convincingly, was a mixture of natural gifts and destructive demons.

As we witness his funeral in Montgomery, Alabama in January, 1953 we learn that he believed it was alright "to bare your soul" from the many interviews with legend George Jones and ancient members of Williams' Drifting Cowboys, all offering their insights into this man who, elsewhere, has been described as obnoxious and self-centred.

These interview grabs are all augmented by historical black and white footage of a young Bob Dylan straining to deliver 'Lonesome', Ray Charles magnificently interpreting 'Your Cheating Heart' and a close-up duet of Williams and Anita Carter doing great harmonies on 'I Can't Help it If I'm Still in Love with You'.

Hank Williams was all rough edges, according to one, and only happy when singing, according to another. Like Elvis, he loved to sing and listen to gospel music. This was the ideal culture for poor musical whites --- usually childhood loners like Williams and Presley --- to sing their own music while exploring the rhythms, styles and feelings of the other.

Spelt out here through grandson, Hank Williams III and son, Hank Williams junior, is the story of a bespectacled nine-year-old Hank senior visiting Rufus Payne ("Tee Tot"), a black street guitar picker and taking lessons. This meeting made an impact. Listen to the crystal clear E chords adorning his greatest songs and the blue notes crackle with emotion. "If daddy wasn't a blues singer," says Hank junior, "just tell me who was".

Many of the black and white stills show Williams looking haunted and that might be explained by a severe chronic back problem, possibly spina bifida. Regular medication, a volatile first marriage to Audrey who once hit him with a bottle, unrelenting pain, alcohol abuse and moments of outstanding creativity, sum up Hank Williams' short life.

Like Dylan and Woody Guthrie, he wrote scores and scores of songs on pieces of paper. Despite reaching country music's most famous stage, The Grand Ole Opry --- his and the Ryman's greatest performance was in June, 1949 --- and the Louisiana Hayride, and "spellbinding the audience" as Billy Joe Shaver once told me, he aspired most of all to be a songwriter.

When Hank Williams eventually got off the wagon, he faced a problem. The songs wouldn't come but at least this period led to reviving the old standard 'Lovesick Blues', originally a very lopsided work. And, of course, there was his firebrand first wife, Audrey who could outdo him in any quarter, physically, mentally and emotionally. Did he drink because she nagged him, or did she nag because he drank?

Honky Tonk Blues contains footage, 25 minutes of which hasn't been seen before and it, along with the stills and the host of telling interviews including a bonus interview with second wife Billie Jean Horton --- she later married Johnny Horton who was killed in 1960 --- make this an essential documentary. A grainy interview concerning his drinking with Williams' uncompromising mother and alleged call girl operator, Lillie, from over 50 years ago, is also revealing and prompts another question:.did Hank Williams' loneliness begin in childhood as Lillie attended to her "clients"?

The film Honky Tonk Blues screened at the Melbourne Film Festival in 2005.

Hugues
Langue pendue

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: HONKY TONK BLUES

Message  Lee Harvey Oswald le Sam 22 Juil - 0:14

Passionnant...On se prendrait à rever d'un mag en France qui pourrait à longueur de pages proposer de telles critiques partiales, passionnées, subjectives, éclairantes sur les grands noms de cette musique, au lieu de balancer 10 feuillets d'interviews de personnages médiatiques parfaitement insignifiants.

Au-dela des sempiternels 15 memes standards d'Hank Williams, écoutez les monologues hallucinés qu'il enregistrait sous le nom de Luke The Drifter...Il s'agit, viscéralement, de textes d'un homme qui désespère et qui ne vomit l'alcool frelaté, ses impuissances, ses dégouts que pour se libérer de ses propres démons et peut-etre pour tenter de les exorciser...La terreur rodait dans les honky tonks quand il chantait ...Il existe des archives visuelles ou on peut voir son regard aux abois marmonnant plus que chantant des chansons d'avant-tombe...
A coté de ses disques signés Luke The Drifter (encore une fois il signait sous ce pseudonyme ses textes les plus personnels, l'auteur ici cite "Pale Horse And His Rider"), les chansons terminales de Johnny Cash sont des bluettes insignifiantes.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Langue pendue

Message  Hugues le Sam 22 Juil - 8:18

Les chansons enregistrées sous le nom de Luke The Drifter sont justement tout ce qui manque sur The Original Singles Collection, qui est la quasi totale de Hank Williams. Je crois que mon prochain achat devrait être I Saw The Light.

A propos du DVD commenté plus haut, attention: il est pour la Région 1 (USA et Canada) et ne passera pas non plus sur les lecteurs multizone de chez nous, car il est en plus équipé d'un code spécial qui l'empêche de passer ailleurs que sur tout appareil non conçu pour la région 1. On est d'accord, c'est lamentable.

Hugues
Langue pendue

Message  Lee Harvey Oswald le Sam 22 Juil - 13:49

I Saw The Light est un recueil de gospel, mais qu'il n'a pas enregistré sous le nom de Luke the Drifter (pour anecdote la chanson-titre "I Saw The Light" est celle chantournée de sa voix sépulcrale par Johnny Cash au tout début d'un épisode de la série Columbo ou il jouait les guests stars Mr. Green ).
Les enregistrements sous le nom de Luke The Drifter, pour lesquels les superlatifs me manquent, n'ont pas été réédités digitalement...Les dictionnaires de musique érudits, tu lis la mention de "Shakespeare hillbilly" pour Hank Williams ...Tu te dis comment ce péquenot analphabète, qui n'avait d'autre culture que les récits de la Bible que sa mère lui avait installé dans sa mémoire pendant son enfance, peut etre comparé au génial dramaturge élisabéthain...
Et puis tu écoutes la prose superbe de ses monologues hallucinés qu'il improvisait entre chien et loup, entre les exubérances factices des samedis soirs dans des honky tonks pouilleux et les confidences honteuses le dimanche matin dans les églises en bois blanc...Et tu comprends.

Oui la France est un pays du Tiers Monde en matière de distribution musicale, pendant ce temps la prose nullissime de Grand Corps Malade ou je sais pas quoi encombre les tetes de gondole des supermarchés "culturels".

Lee Harvey Oswald
Langue pendue

Message  Lee Harvey Oswald le Dim 23 Juil - 0:33

Au temps pour moi, une partie des chansons signées Luke The Drifter sont bien disponibles en cd sous l'intitulé Beyond The Sunset...Il est disponible pour 10 dollars sur amazon.com avec sur le site d'excellentes critiques de mélomanes yankees, certaines faisant preuve d'un point de vue magnifique et d'une vrai sensibilité poétique...
Il faut mieux etre angliciste pour apprécier ce disque, c'est du talkin' blues, mais constitue assurément une expérience bouleversante à l'écoute.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Langue pendue

Message  Lee Harvey Oswald le Dim 23 Juil - 2:26

"Well my friends are gone and my hair is grey
I ache in the place where i used to play
And i'm crazy for love but i'm not coming on
I'm just paying my rent every day
Oh in the tower of song

I said to Hank Williams :how lonely does il get?
Hank Williams hasn't answered yet
But I hear him coughing all night long
A hundred floors above me
In the tower of Song" ...

Leonard Cohen "Tower of Song"

Lee Harvey Oswald
Langue pendue

Message  Hugues le Dim 23 Juil - 10:06

Lee Harvey Oswald a écrit:Au temps pour moi, une partie des chansons signées Luke The Drifter sont bien disponibles en cd sous l'intitulé Beyond The Sunset...Il est disponible pour 10 dollars sur amazon.com avec sur le site d'excellentes critiques de mélomanes yankees, certaines faisant preuve d'un point de vue magnifique et d'une vrai sensibilité poétique...
Il faut mieux etre angliciste pour apprécier ce disque, c'est du talkin' blues, mais constitue assurément une expérience bouleversante à l'écoute.

ouais, il me semblait bien en avoir entendu parler aussi de celui-là, je l'achèterai aussi - de toute façon, Hank Williams, c'est priceless!

et c'est exact, il y a parfois d'excellents commentaires sur amazon!

Hugues
Langue pendue

Message  Contenu sponsorisé Aujourd'hui à 23:39

Contenu sponsorisé

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut